Are you Team (Wedding) Band or Team (Wedding) DJ?
Based on the response from my JunePlumm Event’s fan page, Team Band is certainly getting more love. So let’s take a moment to examine both options:
Team Band Pro’s:
- The excitement of the live music
- Bands/Band leaders are very interactive with guests and can get everyone involved in the performance. Sing-alongs , getting in the mix with the guests… they can certainly get it started.
- The sound quality… VERY sharp
- A live singer can take your favorite tune and change the tempo and feel to be more suitable to your event / style
- Are you having a 60’s style wedding? There is a band for that!
Team Band Con’s
- We mentioned the sound quality as a pro.. but the sound volume can definitely be a con.
- Cost: you will find some of the better bands come at a price. Most wedding bands start at $2,000 – $3,000+ for a 4-piece band and goes up from there. Remember popularity, size and geographical region will seriously impact your cost.
- Wedding Bands have more than one member. So you will have to account for the space to accommodate all the members and equipment and for meals (remember your vendors need to eat)
- Band members need breaks, and unless they take breaks in stages. Be prepared for a cd or recording of some sort
- Request are a hit or miss. If they do not know the tune, you will not hear it (so get your song list ready for your band in advance)
- If your favorite song is “Single Ladies” by Beyonce, then you will hear “Single Ladies” BY Beyonce
- The cost, a good Wedding DJ can cost anywhere for $600 to $1,400+ depending on choice of package and perks
- Wedding DJ’s occupy less space than a Wedding band
- The arsenal of music is far greater than that of a band
- Because DJ’s tend to travel in packs (sometimes 2) breaks will not be as broken as with a band
- DJ’s can read the crowd and quickly change pace and tempo to get people on or off their feet
- For goodness sake, make sure your Wedding DJ dresses like a professional and not like he or she is going to the laundry mat (believe me I have seen things)
- DJ’s can have a one track mind. If they like to play rock music, no matter how much the crowd is not into rock music…they will play ROCK MUSIC.
- There is nothing worse than a DJ with no energy and umph…NOTHING. Choose wisely
- What is your entertainment budget?
- Do you prefer clubs or the symphony?
- What is the formality of your event?
- How much (venue) space are you working with?
- Did I mention what’s your budget (yeah…well in case you missed it I am asking again)