A Venue Coordinator is NOT THE SAME as a Wedding Planner. Let me say this again… A VENUE COORDINATOR IS NOT THE SAME AS A WEDDING PLANNER.
Whether you hire a Planner for full planning, partial planning, day of, month of, week of, 4 days out the week, every other Sunday, however you want to spin it, get you someone that is interested in YOUR wedding, YOUR needs YOUR design and not just the needs of the venue.
Listen, some venue coordinators are great they really are but they do not offer the same services that a dedicated Wedding Planner does. The venue only wants to make sure it flows how they want it to flow…their way. You want square tables, that venue is going to make those oblong tables sound like it’s waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the square tables but guess what….IT’S not. But to the venue that already has countless oblong tables in stock why would they want to put in the extra work with switching that out. You will see how quickly the happy Venue Coordinator tells you “YOU will have to manage that“. The Venue Coordinator, is not going to ensure your ENTIRE day runs smoothly. I mean from make-up to the when the last vendor rolls out. The Venue Coordinator will not even blink until you reach the venue. I don’t want to rain on your parade (too much) because when done right the partnership between a Venue Coordinator and a Wedding Planner can make a wedding day flow very nicely. Key phrase “On The Same Page“. But do not think the Venue Coordinator will fix all your problems from start to finish? No, that’s what the Wedding Planner is for.
So when you find that fabulous venue and they to tell you “you don’t need a planner, we can take care of all your needs ” find out what “all those needs” are exactly. Because, If you need:
- someone to ensure your family knows when to show up for hair make up and pre-ceremony photos
- confirm load in and load out with all of your vendors
- review music list with your DJ with reminders
- to ensure the cinematographer knows when and where to go
- to secure a room block
- to ensure your dress is out the bag and ready for it’s close up
- to make sure you don’t freak out when you can’t find your ruby woo lipstick for re-application
- to make sure mom gets a hold of your money box for safe keeping
- someone to answer all the annoying little questions like what time do you want dinner served, which table first, we are running late do you still want to do the money dance, what is a money dance…etc
- the venue does NOT pre-plate the salad before your guests enter the room and are seated
…then you need a Wedding PLanner NOT a Venue Coordinator